- 2 1/4 cups warm water
- 2 T sugar
- 1 T instant or active dry yeast
- 3/4 T salt
- 2 T olive oil
- 5 1/2 – 6 cups of Cup 4 Cup Gluten Free Flour
- In stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, combine the water sugar and yeast. Let the mixture bubble and foam before proceeding (~ 3-5 minutes).
- Add the salt, oil and 3 cups of flour and mix. Add remaining flour in 1/4 cup increments. The dough should clear the sides of the bowl and form a soft ball. Knead for 2-3 minutes until the dough is smooth.
- Rising Method: Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl and cover with a towel or greased plastic wrap. Let the dough rise until doubled (~ 1 hr.).
- Turn the dough onto a lightly greased surface and divide in half. Pat each section into a thick rectangle. Roll dough up starting from the long edge, pressing out any air bubbles or seams with the heel of your hand, and pinch the edge to seal. Arrange seam side down on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Cover with kitchen towel, and let the loaves rise nearly doubled in size (~ 1 hr.).
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Take your baker’s lame cut several gashes at an angle on the top of each loaf.
- Place additional baking sheet in oven and immediately toss 4-5 ice cubes upon it (this gives the crispness to the crust).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and baked through. Remove from the oven and brush with melted butter.
recipe credit: Mel’s Kitchen Cafe